The accelerated curriculum can be completed in five years to obtain the B.S. in Mathematics after four years and the M.S. in Data Science within one additional year. The curriculum for the B.S. in Mathematics is a traditional on-campus program whereas the M.S. in Data science graduate courses are offered online only. The students take one graduate course during the summer preceding the senior year and two additional graduate courses during the senior year. Subsequently, the students complete the requirements for the M.S. in Data Science within one year. The accelerated program applies 9-12 graduate credits for undergraduate courses.
Requirements for Program Admission and Continuation:
- Submit an application for the M.S. in Data Science program during the Spring semester of Junior Year,
- Meet the M.S. in Data Science admission requirements, except having completed the undergraduate degree program, with undergraduate GPA of at least 2.75,
- Have Senior status (earned at least 90 credits) before taking graduate courses,
- Have at least a 3.0 GPA in the undergraduate Mathematics curriculum before taking graduate courses from the Data Science curriculum,
- Before taking graduate courses during the fifth year, fulfill all the requirements for admission to the M.S. in Data Science, including having earned the undergraduate degree.
Summer between the Junior and Senior Years:
- Take the graduate course MATH 6611 Operations Research that shall count as one of the required elective courses for the B.S. in Mathematics.
- Fall Semester: Take MATH 6811 Statistics for Data Science and DAVA 7000 Data Visualization (if not yet taken).
- Spring Semester: Take DASC 6911 Big Data Analytics and two elective graduate courses from the M.S. in Data Science curriculum.
- Summer Session: Take DASC 9311 Data Science Project and one elective graduate course from the M.S. in Data Science curriculum.