Tuition and Fees

The most recent information on tuition and fees can be found on the Seton Hall University web site:


Seton Hall University utilizes electronic billing as the official means of distributing student bills. Students are required to monitor their accounts through the online self- service access and make on-time payments. Registration during the early registration periods of November (for the Spring semester) and March-April (for the Fall semester) is required of continuing students. Charges are assessed for all course reservations, regardless of class attendance. Courses must be officially dropped online or in the Office of the Registrar before the applicable due dates. Details are available online at All checks and money orders should be made payable to Seton Hall University. Payments made by mail should be sent to the address listed on the eBill. The University encourages online payments through the student PirateNet portal. Electronic checks and echecks are accepted with no charge. Credit and Debit card payments can only be made online, convenience fee is applied to the amount paid.

No student may register for a subsequent semester, begin a new semester, reserve a residence hall assignment or make any course changes with an unpaid balance from the preceding semester. In no case will a student receive a diploma, grades, certificate of degree or transcript of credits until charges have been paid in full. The University reserves the right to drop from classes any students who are in default of their payment.

Payment Plan

Seton Hall University offers plans designed to provide students and their families no interest payment plans at a nominal fee. Please visit the site or contact 800-222-7183 for more information. Payment plans are not available for Summer sessions or past due charges.

Late Fees and Collection Costs

Any amounts unpaid after the semester’s due date are subject to late fees. The late fee is up to $250 each semester. The University reserves the right to pursue legal action in a court of law for any outstanding account balances. If legal action is pursued, the student will be responsible for all collection costs, including reasonable attorney fees, collection agency fees and court costs, in addition to such amounts owed to the University.

Withdrawal from the University

By registering for classes, a student has entered a legal and binding contract to pay all tuition, fees and housing charges with Seton Hall University. Non-attendance of classes does not constitute an automatic withdrawal. A formal withdrawal application must be submitted and approved immediately following the student’s decision to cease attendance at the University. 

Returned Check Policy

If a bill is paid by personal check in order to register and the check is returned for insufficient funds, the student will be dropped from all classes. The student will not be allowed to re-register for classes until after the account is settled. A registration hold will be placed on the student’s record until the balance is resolved through an alternate payment. Alternate payment options are credit card (Visa, MasterCard or American Express), cash, money order or cashier/bank check. Future personal check payments will be held until funds have cleared through the student’s bank. Students who abuse check payments may be barred from paying by personal check in the future. A returned check fee of $35 will be charged for each returned check.

Tuition, Room and Board

The most recent information on tuition and fees can be found on the Seton Hall University web site,

Seton Hall utilizes a flat rate tuition plan for full-time undergraduate students. All full-time students who enroll in more than 18 credits in a term will be charged the applicable basic flat amount for their first 18 credits. For each undergraduate credit above 18 you will be charged the current per credit rate. Undergraduates who enroll in fewer than 12 undergraduate credits will be assessed the current per credit rate.

Undergraduates who are officially enrolled in a dual-degree program may take up to three of the graduate courses required for the program as part of their undergraduate flat tuition by paying the difference between the graduate and the undergraduate per credit rate for the semester during which the courses are taken. Otherwise, undergraduates who enroll in a graduate course will be assessed graduate tuition charges for that course.

Students in a joint degree program are eligible to take their first 9 graduate level credits at the undergraduate tuition rate. If a student is enrolled in 12 or more undergraduate credits in a Fall or Spring semester, this will fall under flat-rate tuition. If a student is in enrolled in 1-11 undergraduate credits in a Fall or Spring semester, the tuition for the graduate course will be adjusted to the undergraduate per- credit rate. Students can take the first 9 graduate credits at the undergraduate rate in a Fall or Spring semester if they are enrolled in undergraduate courses in that same semester.

Additionally, University and mobile computing fees are charged each semester:

University Fee

Student Cost
Full-time $575
Part-time $175
Summer/Winter $75
Mobile Computing Fee $315

Technology Fee

Student Cost
Full-time (non-participant in mobile program) $460
Part-time $150
New Student Fee $340

Detailed information on tuition and a complete list of fees with supplementary information is available at the web site cited above.

Estimates of Non-Tuition Costs

Undergraduate On Campus

Student Fee Estimated Cost
Undergraduate On Campus Books and Supplies $1,000
Undergraduate On Campus Transportation $1,500
Undergraduate On Campus Miscellaneous $1,500

Undergraduate at Home

Student Fee Estimated Cost
Undergraduate at Home Books and Supplies $1,000
Undergraduate at Home Transportation (non-resident) $2,700
Undergraduate at Home Miscellaneous $1,500

Undergraduate Off Campus 

Student Fee Estimated Cost
Undergraduate Off Campus Books and Supplies $1,000
Undergraduate Off Campus Transportation (non-resident) $2,700
Undergraduate Off Campus Miscellaneous $1,500

Tuition Discounts

Priests, brothers, and sisters of the Roman Catholic Church are eligible for a 50 percent religious reduction in the undergraduate tuition rates. Application, accompanied by verification of eligibility, must be submitted to the Office of Student Financial Aid in Bayley Hall prior to registration. This office will provide written guidelines upon request. Senior citizens also receive a discount when they register for courses on a space-available basis; they are asked to present proof of age (65 or older) each semester. Tuition waiver forms are available from the Office of the Registrar in Bayley Hall, at the time of registration.

Online courses or those taught under comprehensive fee- based structures are not eligible for tuition discounts.

Withdrawal from the University

General University policy for refund/credit of tuition for registered students who wish to withdraw from the University is based on prorated charges keyed to the date of actual withdrawal after the end of the add-drop period:

Date of Withdrawal Refund/Credit
1 week 80%
2 weeks 60%
3 weeks 40%
4 weeks 20%
more than 4 weeks none

These charges apply to students who leave to attend another college or university, who leave because of financial conditions, family or personal reasons, or as the result of University community standards sanctions.

Adjustments will be made only if the official withdrawal forms are properly filed in timely fashion by the student and processed by the University. Fees remain payable.

During Summer Session, no refunds are made after the second class, and no prorated refund/credit for withdrawal is granted.

If a student is dismissed or withdraws because of prolonged illness, the account will be rendered strictly according to the percentage ratio of the total number of days elapsed during the student’s attendance to the total calendar days of the semester.

A “prolonged illness” is one that must be attested to by a doctor’s certificate to the effect that the illness is or was of such a nature as to require the student’s absence for a period of three consecutive weeks.

If a student has made only partial payment of tuition and fees and the prorated charges exceed the partial payment, the additional amount is due and payable at the time of withdrawal. Students will not receive clearance from the University until all financial obligations have been met.

Any refund that is necessary as a result of withdrawal from the University will be made only by mail.

Charges for Course Changes

Course schedules may be modified through the online self-service access or with an Adjustment to Schedule Form by the add-drop deadline for the semester or Summer term. The payment due date for additional tuition incurred by a student as a result of such a change is immediate; details regarding payment deadlines appear online. If changes are made after the initial registration, payment is due immediately. Students are required to monitor their accounts through the online self- service access and make on-time payments.

Any credit that appears on the student’s financial account as a result of a dropped course may be applied toward charges for a subsequent semester or, if requested in writing, refunded directly to the student. No financial adjustment will be made for individual courses dropped after the change in program period.

Withdrawal from Residence Halls

The housing license that all resident students sign is binding for the entire academic year (Fall and Spring semesters). Once a student “checks in” to a room assignment, the license obligation begins, and no refund of housing charges will be made. The University considers “check in” to be proper when the student accepts the room key.

At the end of the Fall semester, a resident student may be released from the housing license and relieved of Spring Semester housing charges.

The student must notify the Department of Housing and Residence Life in writing by November 15. Such requests are granted if the resident student is:

  • withdrawing from the University;
  • marrying(proof required);
  • transferring to another University (proof required);
  • graduating;
  • or approved by the assistant director of housing and residence life for a special exemption.

Requests not meeting one of the above criteria will be considered, however, there is no guarantee that the student will be released from the housing license and relived of Spring Semester housing charges.

Please note: Withdrawal from the residence hall is a separate request from withdrawal from the University and as such, a student withdrawing or transferring from Seton Hall University must complete both processes. 

Apply to Seton Hall

Home to nearly 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students, Seton Hall has reached new heights in academic excellence, faculty research and student success. Ready to take the next steps on your academic or career path?